Thursday, January 7, 2010

Masochism World

Well it's 2010, nothing much has changed... that isn't bad though.

I've started my second quarter at DePaul, and winter quarter appears it will be more consuming than fall. I feel I will definitely learn a lot this quarter, especially in economics and urban/city development. So I feel good that I know I'm getting an education.

I got accepted today to get to a special seminar in Brussels in March for a week intensive study at the EU headquarters. That's pretty cool and espeically since you had to apply to be allowed to go and I was chosen. Now I just have to finance the trip.

I have 10 gigs between now and the end of March which is the busiest I've been musically in No Exit and the busiest I've been since in American Flag. I got a BIG GIG at the Abbey Pub on the 24th of January. It's my unofficial make or break gig.

I've made some inferences this winter break.

Does the world want to be saved? It surely doesn't seem to act like it.

Can we as individuals do acts that are totally selfless? I still believe in selfless acts, and still try to do them, but the question one must ask oneself is why are they truly doing it. I have given up on the idea of philanthropy, it's not real. Real philanthropy is being anonymous and thus contradicts the defintion and idea of philanthropy in which heroizes an individual for there contributions. Carnagie may have a college, a theatre, a library, and other various buildings named after him, but it still doesn't mean acts were purely utilitarianistic and selfish.

The Framingham Study has some interesting results about happiness. The study after 40 years of research (I won't go into all the research here) that happiness is contagious like the common cold. So thus good deeds can have greater impact on society and individuals than one may think. That is the direction of The Drive To 2011.

No comments: