Sunday, March 8, 2009

I Could Have Died Last Night

So I went out last night with some friends of mine who I haven't seen in quite a while. We went to the usual waterhole we use to patron when we saw more of each other in years past. I ordered a Sam Adams draft a couple beers into the night, and to my shock there was a prize at the bottle of my beer glass, which was pieces of jagged glass. The initial reaction from me and my friends was that of horror. I didn't notice the glass at all until I got to the bottom of my beer, and saw pieces of something which kind of looked like ice, but on closer inspection was actually jagged glass. My friends are yelling lawsuit! lawsuit! while I'm demanding satisfaction from the manager of the establishment. I get apologies from three different people who work there who claim to be sorry, but you know aren't because they really don't care as long as they don't get fired and my bar tab was free, but I was still really ticked off. I could/would have easily died if i swallowed any of that glass (they were big and sharp pieces, not like little tiny particles), and when my friend says to the manager you have to be more careful if want to avoid potential lawsuits and negligence is not an excuse for bodily harm, the manager's simply reply was, "That's why we have great lawyers." The simple fact that the guy was a jackass about it and showed no emotions or sympathy towards the situation just infuriated me. So it was quickly decided to go elsewhere.

I was initially hoping that maybe someone was trying to kill me, but putting jagged glass in my drink. It would sure spice up my life and make things more interesting, but oh well.

At multiple friends requests I saw the movie Watchmen today, and I have to admit it was much better than I thought it would be. I stopped reading comic books like a decade ago, and besides the Dark Knight I don't care about the hype for comic book movies, but I have some friends who were fans of Watchmen and told me it was up my alley and I have to agree. The characters have real depth to them, and it is very well written. Some of the effects I found cheesey and could have done without and I might have done the casting differently, but the story it tells is pretty good. I would recommend it to anyone who likes films that make them think (which I think a good film should do). As far as Watchmen goes, I think for the sci-fi/comic book/super hero world it probably had the most relatable characters I've ever seen in that genre before.

Now it's raining out, with tornado warnings and I feel ill.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Soooo glad you noticed before you drank any more. How does something like that even happen?

I really want to see Watchmen. Friends are telling me it would be something I would like.

Are you going to be in Chicago at all next weekend?