Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Acrylic Waltz

The past two days I have spent a good deal of time messing around with my brother's 16 track Yamaha digital recorder, and I have some fruitful results from that chaos. I put a new song up on my myspace page www.myspace.com/williamcovert that is a newly recorded song I just finished today.

From this previous weekend it had got me thinking about different types and kinds of music, and I started messing around with drum beats that were in 3/4 time signature or what classical dancers would call a waltz beat. Out of messing around with a waltz beat I wrote out some drum parts and recorded Acrylic Waltz. Some parts of it are polyrhythmic where I take a 3/4 beat with my feet and play 4/4 on top of it with my hands or vice versa. I had been listening to a lot of Bill Bruford and Gavin Harrison recently (more so of Gavin because he's on the cover of this month's Modern Drummer Magazine) and both of them were influence in my drumming on the song and the whole idea really to play in an odd non 4/4 time signature for the base of the song. I'm hoping to maybe get some more music recorded and online as well, I don't know though we'll see how the creative process goes.

3 comments:

Derek_M said...

I really enjoyed this.

That has to be extremely difficult to keep the 3/4 going while rubbing against it all the time.

I played some chords over top of it after listening and it was inspiring.

Will C said...

Oh really, I would be interested in hearing what you chords you put on top of the drums.

It is difficult to put 3/4 on top of 4/4, but I like polyrhythmic patterns. I like musical challenges it keeps drums interesting to me.

Derek_M said...

I just played some chords over the drum track and recorded it.

Changing from minor to major in the same key is one of my favorite sounds and I heard it in my head while listening to the drums.

Link