Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Death And All His Friends

I've been doing some thinking the last couple of days and reflecting on a lot of stuff. I've done maybe more reflecting than a 23 year old should, but oh well. So I've been in my thoughts, and I got a song lyric stuck in my head, and I don't know why. Usually I don't pay much attention to lyrics, I couldn't even tell you most of the lyrics from songs my band plays. Of all of the bands to get lyrics stuck in your head from, I can't get lyrics from a Coldplay song trapped in my skull. I use to really really really hate Coldplay, I still don't like anything they've done besides their new album Viva la Vida, which I never would have originally ever listened to if it wasn't produced by Brian Eno. But anyways, the last song on the album has a line that goes

"No, I don't want to battle from beginning to end. I don't want to cycle or recylce revenge. I don't want to follow death and all his friends...

And in the end we lie awake, and we dream of making our escape."

Those lyrics really sum up what i've been thinking about. Anytime someone dies young and unnatural it tends to make people reflect. Knowing someone that use to live a block away from me, and I went to high school with, and use to come to my house and me to his house numerous times is now dead, just makes the world seem strange. Life is fragile, and I think more fragile than we tend to realize. I was listening to this Coldplay and these came up and like it felt like synchronicity. It was just so odd that I was listening to a band I never normally listen to, and I just happened to be listening to a song dealing with death and it felt like a Jungian moment.

The other lyric about lying awake and dreaming of making escape, I related to, but for different reasons. The biggest thing I've had on my brain recently even more than death is I met someone who I like, but I don't know if the feeling is totally mutual. So I've been not sleeping much this week just thinking about the possibilities of what is my life now and what may or may never be depending on some decisions. I feel like I'm in mental waiting room, but for the chance of a positive outcome it's definitely worth the wait. I've been plotting about making my escape out of Michigan to Chicago, and now I just have to act out my dream.

No comments: