Monday, May 18, 2009

Expectation Is A Prison

I had been kind of bummed the past day and a half, but sometimes something as simple as an idea or sentence than help clarify things.

I was doing some meditation earlier and that was excatly what I needed to re-energize myself.

It hit me in the head like being blinded by truth and reason and I felt so dumb, expectation is a prison. My problem with myself as of late is I haven't been succeeding up to my own expectations.

The idea of expectations is pretty stupid. I have to let go of my expectations, which is difficult to be, but is a must at this point.

Robert Fripp once said, "When a musician believes that music is a commodity, music dies in them." I think that's what has kind of started to develop in me recently. I've grown so sick of the commercial music scene that I've started to view music as a commodity item, which it's hard not to. It's made music more and more difficult for me to enjoy, and I think part of that is also the expectations I have for myself in music because of my level of proficiency and where I think I should be. I just have to let all those ideas and thoughts go, and just be.

Clarity is a great thing to have if you can get it.

No comments: