Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Time To Pretend

I was talking to my mom earlier today and somehow we ended up talking about MGMT. I'm still wondering how the hell does my mom know who MGMT is? I guess it's just one of those weird surprises of life. Speaking of MGMT, I've been listening to them a lot lately and I think they might be the best new band out there in music. They are great musicians, but their lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard. Musically they remind me a lot of 80's Talking Heads, like the influence is definitely there and kudos to Andrew & Ben for bringing psychedelic music back to pop music.

I've been thinking about this lately and I think people get too caught up in their routines. Whether it's eating routines, work routines, drinking routines, sex routines, or whatever I think routines ruin whatever act it is your doing. Does anyone else think routines make life boring and dull? I meet so many people caught up in their various routines and it's like living in a voluntary prison.

I feel like Randall MacMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. It's like I've been confined to this loony bin, but everyone else is here voluntarily and I can't figure out why they volunteer to be here while I'm trying to break out.

I was talking to someone earlier who had a simliar living situation as me, and I feel a little better about myself finding other couch surfers out there. Is it just me or is it always the couch surfers and near bums who are always the best philosophers and have the best outlooks on life?

I'd rather live my life sleeping under the stars and living off the land than deal with the money machines and never ending strain of the plastic material world.

"Black tears, black smile, black credit cards and shoes
You can call all the people you want
But it's you who's being used..."

No comments: