Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fainting In Coils

I had a great start to the weekend with a very so-so ending.

Thursday I went to Wrigley Field for my first time this and had my best experience maybe ever at a Cubs game. Then Thursday night I was down in Ukranian Village and Wicker Park and really like it down there. I need to move to Wicker Park.

There are apparently a chain of convenient stores in Iowa called Kum & Go. I think that's pretty damn hilarious.

I saw Angels & Demons on Friday and that was kind of a yawn. It was better than The Da Vinci Code, but it was still just kind of blah.

I was taking a shower earlier today and was actually contemplating retiring from music or at least rock music, and I've never had thoughts like that before.

It seems pretty uncool to be a musician these days, it's much cooler if you're a no talent hack with no stage presence and limited or no musical ability who ascends to be be playing music.

I realize those seems like harsh words for which I apologize if I sound too much like a whining asshole, but at the same time the words are fairly accurate.

In the musician world I'm too experimental, too complicated, and not conventional enough to be accepted for my merits, and in the non-musician world I'm seen too much as a pretentious bastard who is too serious about his music to get any respect and aknowledgement from my peers. The amount of support I get from some friends is the only thing that really keeps me going anymore.

Mont Campbell is one of my favorite musicians from one of my favorite bands Egg. Mont retired from music at an early age which is why most people never heard of him or his music. He's a very talented musician, and a brilliant composer, but only had a short professional career. When asked why he retired so young he said because he was searching for praise for his music and he wasn't getting any.

A lack of praise is pretty much what I feel I'm receiving, but not that I'm looking for praise just some acknowledgement towards what I'm doing and trying to do. Of course if I did retire from music I don't know what the hell I would do with my life. Who knows maybe some things are best figured out on the fly.

No comments: