Friday, January 16, 2009

War On Music Part 2

I've been scavenging youtube recently and found some live video gems.

I make no secret that my favorite drummer, one of my favorite musicians, and one of my heroes is Bill Bruford.

I have always admired Bill for his willingness to venture into unchartered musical waters and his creative drumming style .

Bill is the most creative drummer and one of the most creative musicians I've ever heard. He constantly reinvents himself as a drummer. Bill will probably be featured numerous times on the War On Music because his career and musical style is vast.

The clip below is one of my favorite examples of electronic and synthesized drums used to write music. Bill didn't want to just use drum machines when the electronic drum wave came out in the 1980's. Bill is actually one of the first musicians on the planet to dabble in sampling, and it led Bill to create what he called "Chordal Drums" where he programed electronic drums to play notes and then played the drums melodicly and literally wrote and performed melodies on drums. Not too many can say that.

The tune is called "Stromboli Kicks" and is performed by Bill Bruford's Earthworks.

No comments: