Friday, January 2, 2009

King Of Pain

Well it's 2009, big deal right? With every passing year I tend to reflect and at this new years I thought about the lyrics in the Pink Floyd song "Time" specifically the line "Shorter of breath and one day closer to death." I might have a morbid perception on new years, but I associate new years with death. With every new year that comes it's closer to our last years of life. From my perspective, I don't want to die or get really old so I see new years as a reminder of man's mortality. Oh who am I kidding, I probably really hate new years because i know that means my birthday is in a month, and I do not want to turn 24. Mid 20's yuck!!!

I feel a lot better at the start of 2009 than I did at the start of 2008, and for me a lot of it has to do with the knowledge of creating your own path in life. I'm not in the exact situation I wanted to be at this time, but I know I can change my path and I'm optimistic about what lies ahead. I'm glad I'm not depressed like last winter, but I do have some lingering feelings of loneliness which is really I think the result of my own doing. If I wasn't such an anti-social, annoying bastard, I probably wouldn't be so lonely. I have some good feelings about the next couple weeks, so we'll see what happens.

I was listening to The Police today, and Sting has such a knack for writing upbeat pop songs, that are actually quite depressing if you listen to the lyrics. One of favorite examples of this, well at least my favorite song for today is the song "The Bed's Too Big Without You." Such a strange song, it's an upbeat reggae song with lyrics about a guy who's missing his lover and talks about how he makes love to his pillow at night, but it doesn't seem right and all this sappy stuff. Yet it's really catchy.



In other strange news, I saw a squirrel die today. I'm not a hunter nor is my family so I was not brought up to be desensitized by the death of animals. I was outside today walking to my van and I heard a noise in a tree above me and I look up and this squirrel was running along a tree branch and then just feel right out of the tree from about maybe 3 or 4 stories high and just landed smack on the frozen ground. I went over to it to see if it was still alive and it died on impact, it was a sad sight really. This small little animal with its arms still sticking straight out and its mouth open. Never a dull day in the Midwest.

No comments: