Thursday, January 15, 2009

Constant Reinvention

I've been pondering lately what direction in life I want to go in. I had been hellbent for sometime about relocating to Chicago, but now I'm not as hellbent now as I once was. Changes can be hard to decide because you don't know what the outcome will be. I'm always trying to put myself in a situation to better myself, and I'm not totally sure what direction to go in.

A large problem I have is being a musician. Playing music is the greatest and sometimes also the worst thing that's ever happened to me. Like so many other people my age I wish I could just go get a job and be happy or go off to grad school and be happy, but I wouldn't. I want to do something with my life that involves music. I want to make people happy. I want to creatively inspire people. I've been posting some songs on my myspace page recently and the feedback I've gotten has been phenomenal. It's really encouraged me to maybe stick my neck out a little more than I normally would as far as taking my music more seriously.

I think my musical career is ready for another change in its constant reinvention. I'm a believer that once you somewhat master something and get a grasp of what you're doing then it's time to move on and try something new and different. I've been playing in rock bands for almost 8 years and I love rock music, but I often find myself thinking about well what if I was doing this with music instead. I want to maybe explore jazz and/or electronic music more. I use to play with a hybrid drum set featuring both electronic and acoustic drums, which was my most productive writnig phase. I think it might be time to get experimental again.

Where I move will also depend on what happens with my musical reinvention. I'm tired of playing in bands and playing music that sounds like something, I want to create something new that people haven't heard before. I have to put myself in a situation where I can find and play with musicians who think the same way as me. I also want to put myself in a situation where I'll be happy outside of what I think and do with music.

Socially I'm ready for a change as well. I'm tired of smalltown Michigan. I want to meet more people like me. My social circle and influence is dwindling. I have made some new friends recently, which has also helped me open my eyes to the fact that change can be good, and change is what I need.

Below is a video I find on youtube of my favorite drummer Bill Bruford. It has a little boring introduction, but once it starts I think it's the most melodic, danceable, and most creative drum solo I've ever seen. I wish I wrote it, and this song was the main influence my song "Bill's Boogie" which is a melodic drum solo I wrote and recorded which is on my myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/williamcovert

I find this video to be a reflection of the kind of music I wish I was playing now. Where's jazz fusion musicians when I need them!

No comments: