Tuesday, February 17, 2009

From Under Bridges Of Silence

I have had a strange and sudden impulse lately get to more in touch with nature. I think this April I'm going to take a trip out west and go hiking. I haven't decided on whether to go to California, Arizona, or Nevada yet.

I was recently offered a job as a writer for a magazine, and I turned down the job because the pay was absolutely awful, there was a lot of work involved for very little, and it was in New York. The idea that a professional liked my writing, has given me the idea to maybe pursue writing, but in a different form. I've been started to focus on writing more poetry, and I think maybe a trip out west would really get my creative juices going. The Midwest is just not very inspiring.

I have been compiling poems from what I call my "Acid Diary." What a lot of people don't know about me is I don't do recreational drugs, but for a period in college I took LSD every 6 months, and I did this ceremoniously for a couple years. While on LSD I kept a diary of my thoughts and feelings while tripping on acid. I did it just as an artistic experiment to look back when I'm sober and try to see my mind's eye. I've recently gotten the impulse to take some of the entrys and compile them as poems. The style and manner is very cryptic, but I find the process intriguing. The poems consist of material that I wrote while on acid and is me totally vulnerable and honest, and have not been tampered while with sober.

The first poem is called From Under Bridges Of Silence:

"Only those that have conquered darkness can understand the embrace of light.
To understand Philadelphia is to understand me.
I have to get out of here.
I thought about living in New York or New Jersey.

I am alive, I am living.
I am resplendent in divergence, am I Catholic?
I am the Keith Moon of my generation.
I have some tricks up our sleeves.

I am still a kid at heart.
I know I am witty.
I am smart.
I am a bastard.

I hate farting.
I feel I don't fit in a lot, am I weird?
I am a human being, I am misunderstood.
It's not all bad, it's mostly good.

I use to think I was cool and funny,
And now I just think I'm an idiot and a dick.
I feel the name Bill Covert is the punchline to a lot of jokes out there.
I think I have a lot to offer that I don't share.

I love jazz, I love baseball.
I thought about living in Montreal.
I feel pretty good about America.
Candles still flicker in Romania's dark..."

- William Covert

No comments: