Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Man More Intelligent And Insighful Than Myself.

I've been talking alot of music with people lately, especially since the show I played last friday at The Elbo Room. Some of the talk has been technical as far as equipment and mechanics, but much of it has been musical philosophy. Why do I like the music I do, why do I play the music I do. Why is certain music popular more than others, what are people are listening to in music.

Much of my musical philosophy is based on my musical heroes and influences. People who know me, notice that whenever I talk about music I mention the name Robert Fripp quite often. Robert Fripp is kind of like the center to my musical philosophy. I think the man is genius, and is a very true and geniune artist and human being. Robert Fripp actually walked past me this last August at The Park West in Chicago, and I don't really count it as meeting him I was next to him and felt just such a benevolence of his being. With that said, I thought I'd post two videos of Fripp speaking. To most people they probably don't care what Fripp has to say, but I think even to non-musicians Fripp can be insightful and he's a great philosophical thinker/speaker. The first video talks about Fripp's career in the late 70's and he talks about playing with David Bowie and Blondie and is pretty interesting. The second video is from the mid 80's and is Fripp discussing musical philosophy, but not in the sense of judging what music is good like most people do, but the relationship of music to people and understanding music. I think it's very thought provoking and is where I derive my philosophy as far as a musician and artist comes from. More musician focused, but still insightful.



No comments: