Monday, February 9, 2009

Rules For Music

I hate to do this, but after yet again another arguement over music I find I have no choice but to make some things clear. Sorry to sound pretenious, not my intention.

1. If you can't sing you're not a singer.

2. Just because you can dance does not make you a musician.

3. Just because you know how to edit audio, does not make you a songwriter.

4. Stealing other people's music should be a crime. Artists create art with a certain creative impulse in mind. To take someone else's art and present as your own with a few things added or changed is a crime to the original intent of the original artist's intent.

5. Lyrics have nothing to do with music at all. If you're good at rhythming words than go be a creative writing major at a community college. Music is called music for a reason.

6. There is more meaning to music than something to dance to. Do you think people danced to Gregorian Chant? A little clue they didn't. Music is art and is made to create an emotional response, which at times may be dancing, but is not strictly limited to it. If music doesn't make you think then it's not very good music. Good music inspires people.

7. You wouldn't trust an illiterate person's book review, so why does everyone who knows nothing about music take it upon themself to feel righteous and dignified when insulting and criticizing someone else's musical taste they don't like? I've studied music for a very, very long time, and have been playing music for even longer, and I would never tell someone their opinion on music is wrong, yet a lot of people have no problem telling me I'm wrong when it comes to music. I don't get it. I wrote my first concerto when I was 17, I'm not musically stupid. I'm not afraid or sorry to say it, but Kanye West is an idiot and not a musician, nor is lil' wayne and all these idiots who make up the so-called "popular music" today. There is a very big difference between being an entertainer and a musician. A musician is an artist and an entertainer is not. A DJ is not a musician, he maybe an entertainer, but if you don't play a bloody instrument then you're not a musician. The idea of non-musicians making music is absurd. As soon as one composes and plays music you enter the realm of being a musician. I'm tired of this daydream fantasy of people who don't want to work hard to achieve a skill so they play fucking guitar hero and think they know music. Am I the only one left in this world that believes that sampling someone else's music and claiming it as your own is not artisic and is not musically inclined? I wrote a lot of music, and the first thing to know about writing music is it is very hard. It is not easy to write music, so insted of using pro-tools and cutting and pasting someone else's songs, write your own damn music. What happened to creative outlets? Are we so desensitized by society that people don't know how to be creative anymore? It makes me sick to my stomach to look around at the profession I have chosen and see nothing but marketed hacks and uncreative weasals. The problem with digitally created electronic music whether it be rap or techno or whatever is, those kinds of music have no soul. There is no organic element to it at all, it is ridiculous to call it art because there is no primal creative element you either take someone else's creation and mess with it or you cut and paste computer programs to come up with 'beats' for you. If there is a primal creative element please someone show me an example and prove me wrong, but I don't see it or should I say I don't hear it.

Let's face it, a lot of music today sucks and is just terrible and seems uninspired. Oh where of where is the Mahvavishnu Orchestra when needed.

2 comments:

Matt R said...

I would have to disagree on you assessment of electronic music, (minus rap and hip-hop, they technically don't fall into that category). Techno, Electroclash, Acid Jazz, etc. can be very original and organic. There is a perception that because they rely on computer technology to be produced that they lack some kind of human element, but what is a computer? It is a tool for making sound just like trumpet or a violin are just tools for making sound. The difference is the execution. The idea that computers don't rely on human interaction to make something is a false one. Are there bad examples of electronic music where the musician took the easy way out? Of course, every genre has those. But good electronic has such a human element to it that you can listen to some great techno or trance and begin to feel your heartbeat keep time to the music. Electronic music has always been about trying new things with new tools. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But electronic musicians are just carrying on a legacy; what would modern music be if some guy tinkering with the design of a Harpsichord didn't invent the piano?

Will C said...

I understand your arguement, and I do listen to some electronic music which I really enjoy, but to me at least there seems to some electronic music that seems forced in its creation. If you are using nothing but a computer to make music, what instrument do you call that? To be a musician you play an instrument(s). So I think the musical community is having an identity problem because of technology. Electronic music by and large is at least original in its creation which I like, where my big pet peeve is with hip-hop and rap over their use of sampling and taking something already established and changing it to fit their needs. My question, which is rhetorical, is if computers and that use of technology in music is the next step of musical evolution what is next after that? It seems that the more technology used in music the less organic it becomes and feels. Baroque and classical music is much more organic than rock and rock is more organic than rap and so forth. A few hundred years from now will people still be playing insruments or eventually will technology eliminated the need to even have instruments involved in music anymore? I'm just a traditionalist in that sense, I like the idea of music being a craft and not a iphone application.