Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Isn't Jazz Improv Lovely

I've been arguing on behalf of jazz for years now, and I know I will continue to argue for it. There are two groups of people I argue with over jazz. Those who hate jazz and just don't like it at all. Those who are jazz snobs and so-called "purists." They think jazz shouldn't have evolved past swing, but gladly it did.

I found a real gem of a video on youtube. It's my favorite jazz band the Mahavishnu Orchestra playing at the Montreaux Jazz Festival in 1984. What's great is the band's use of improv. The gem in the video starts at the 4 and 1/2 minute mark. While in an improvised jam John Mclaughlin comes across the melody to Stevie Wonder's Isn't She Lovely on guitar and the jam then changes to the song Isn't She Lovely with everything figuring it while they're playing it. It's pure brilliance and just great jazz playing. Watching it makes me want to play live right now.

No comments: