Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Green Fairy (Slight Return)

What do you do when it's snowing out in Michigan in the dead of winter? I solved that question for today at least.

I saw the movie The International today. I don't watch too many films in theaters anymore, but that film is absolutley brilliant. I was gitty halfway through the movie, it is so good and I recommend it to anyone who appreciates or even thinks they might appreciate good cinema. The story is awesome, Clive Owen is great in it, Naomi Watts is spectacular, and the villian is an international bank so yeah the movie has everything.

Then for the second day in a row I drank Absinthe today. I wanted to see if yesterday was a fluke with not hallucinating, but it was to no avail tonite either. I did get an alright buzz though, which prompted some friends and I to grace our most famous bar in town the stupidly titled Stray Dog, or as we call it the Gay Dog because of all the old queens who patron the lakefront establishment. As usual the music there was garbage and produced a large amount of sensory depraving noise pollution, which caused me to be a bit surly, but not as surly as my counterparts who seemed to be possessed by some drunken spell laced with confused anecdotes and analytical preaching. We got to the bar pretty late because it wasn't originally in our plans, but was a whim decision to go out because of my non-sensical encouragement to get weird, go act like savages, and get kicked out of a bar. My friends I was out with tonite are remains from a once great social society we called "The Too Much Fun Club" and tonite we tried to live up that name. Once there we ruled the bar, and ordered drink after drink not bothered or even phased by the amount of glasses in front of us. It was like the good ole days, when fun was cheap and excitement and energy was everything. My friends told me for some reason they always feel excited when they go out with me, perhaps it's my indulgence for being spontaneous and free. My friend Chris said I was most entertaining person he's ever gone out drinking with, and told me I had a wild spirit that many wish they could have, but most can never achieve. I hadn't received a compliment like that in a long time, it was nice.

But everything ends, and so did tonite. I think I finally found a place to live on the edge of Humboldt Park really close to Wicker Park. It's a pretty cool looking place, I think it's the proverbal one.

"Morality is temporary, wisdom is permanent."
- Hunter S. Thompson

No comments: